Thursday, January 15, 2009

EXCLUSIVE!! Mini-Interview at the China Embassy

I was able to ask the China Embassy's Minister Counselor (Congressional Affairs) Zhang Ping about how people with disabilities are doing in China. No transcript because voice interpretation is provided and sign language is visible.

My question: How are people with disabilities doing in China? Is the government giving any assistance to the disabled in order to help them succeed? And, are there any laws in place to give them accessibility?

You can watch the Vlog to see the answer!

I would like to thank Zhang Ping and the China Embassy for being willing to participate in a Vlog with me and The Washington Center for giving me access.

Furthermore, I would like to mention that as I walked out of the China Embassy I stopped and picked up some pamphlets and brochures. I was very impressed that one of the brochures was entirely about the "Protection of the rights and interests of the handicapped."

Inside it, there was not only one but TWO sections devoted to the deaf people: the Shanghai Orient International Sign Language School and the Shanghai No 4 School for the Deaf. There was detailed information about the philosophy of advocating education, language, and rights for deaf people and their fellow country-men/women with disabilities in China.

I took photos to show you what I picked up at the China Embassy. It is of no exaggeration to say that I was extremely impressed by the presentation of information about the nation of China's support for the healthy development of its deaf citizens. I do hope most sincerely that many other nations will follow China's example. Here are the visual evidence:


The brochure "Protection of the rights and interests of the handicapped."

Shanghai Orient International Sign Language School

Shanghai No 4 School for the Deaf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Leah,

When Beijing Olympics 2008 took place, dozens of documentaries were filmed in China regarding issues that were never unveiled to the general public... particularly the American viewers, I suppose. One of the most concerning issues was the HIV/AIDS widespread epidemic that plagued many Chinese citizen (in the thousands) lives, especially those living in the slums of China. It also showed just how much Chinese officials had chosen to neglect rather than to attend and protect the victims of this tragic disease. It was extremely disheartening and frightening...

Call me a skeptic but I wonder if those in the China embassy simply chose to accommodate the American customs and beliefs by merely printing out pamphlets of disability rights and advocation but don't really impose much action on it... just to satisfy our sense of civil rights content? I can see that there's Deaf institutions, but is it any good? Are the children there being taught or being exploited and used solely for audio evaluation purposes (stem cell testing, gene therapy testing?). Perhaps civil rights laws are established but is it being respected? Do you feel that disability rights in China are being treated in the same degree of respect as those in America? I wonder.

Keep up the wonderful, wonderful work and I enjoy reading your blogs!,

Clyde Catron