John McCain and Sarah Palin
- Senator McCain himself is disabled, as a result of torture during the Vietnam War, when he was a POW (prisoner of war).
- Alaskan Governor and McCain’s Vice Presidential running mate Sarah Palin recently gave birth to a son, Trig. Trig has Downs Syndrome.
- The Americans with Disabilities for McCain page on www.johnmccain.com notes that he was instrumental in writing key sections of the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act. It also mentions the Help America Vote Act (HAVA), which deals with creating access for disabled people during political campaigns, mainly at polling places. This may mean McCain was involved in the passage of the act.
- Full link: http://americanswithdisabilities.johnmccain.com/AmericansWithDisabilities.htm
- On the health care page of the issues section, there is a brief blurb at the bottom about autism. A link leading to a statement on it is found there. It is noted that McCain cosponsored the Combating Autism Act of 2006, and states that as president he will work to advance federal research on autism.
- “Last month, the House passed the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 by a substantial margin. I support that House bill, and intend to support a Senate version that adheres to the same principles.” – Senator McCain, speaking at the AAPD conference, July 26
- No specific page on disabilities on www.johnmccain.com.