Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Korean Legal Studies and The Nuclear Nonproliferation Law

As a Deaf African-American woman, I feel that my background would make a major impact in the worlds of law because my insights would provide the legal people with a positive message that individuals with intellectual disabilities are in fact capable, are serious and would like to be part of the high security environment. I developed an interest in Asian law during my past study abroad opportunity with the International Scholar Laureate Program on Diplomacy and International Relations (ISLP) in China. The ISLP has really convinced me that despite the rapid economic change, demand for legal knowledge, and for networking contact with Asian legal scholars, it was, indeed, important to examine more about the China's legal world, Japan's legal world and especially the Korea's legal world but, also in some other part of the middle east as well.

For now, I would like to narrow down my area of focus in South Korea, perhaps, in my other blogs, I would discuss about what I would like to do in other countries. So, it remains immensely important to me that I expand my interest in learning about the Republic of Korea's current laws, national security laws, laws in the global economy, and laws for addressing the North Korea's current nuclear capacity issues at law school. After I enter law school the first year, I hope to apply for an opportunity to study abroad for a semester at the Yonsei Law School, a summer academic law program located in the capitol city of Seoul, since many legal internships in Seoul are focusing on nuclear proliferation law and are almost exclusively available through the Korean government ministries--Justice and Defense or at international minded law firms. While at Yonsei Law and at an internship, I hope to conduct work on strengthening the Korea's national security law- a specialized legal field for dealing with the broad spectrum of domestic and international scenarios within the legal context: regional wars, military contingencies, foreign defense, counter proliferation, and the technologies of space and missile systems.

As I anticipate for law school, I hope to also further my knowledge of the Korean language (Hangul) in preparation for exchanging information with the Korean ambassadors, military officials, legal attorneys and intelligence analysts in the U.S. Embassy South Korea, Korean supreme and constitutional courts, Korean government ministries and, Korean National Assembly in Seoul, South Korea or in the Office of Korean Affairs at the State Department in the U.S. In a few more years, I could become a Deaf, African-American woman who has both Korean and American legal educational experiences, bringing about diplomatic changes from solving nuclear security issues in both international security environment and inter-Korean relations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I found your blog after I saw Leah's White House internship blog post. I was wondering if either of you have studied, interned, or volunteered abroad before, given your international interests? If you have a story you can share, or if you want resources about going abroad with a disability, visit us at miusa.org/ncde or email me at info@miusa.org.